Said my final goodbyes to my friend Maria during these past couple of days. It has been a sad time for me. I have been blessed to have friendships that have lasted years and years. Maria is the first of my group of BFFFamiliaByChoice friends to leave and, as I drove thru her town today, all I could do was cry for my friend. The one thing that she had asked was that we remember her with a smile, but for that minute, I could not.
When I got to her reception, I was able to see so many friends that we had in common, so many people that I have met thru Maria, so there was so much to talk about as we remembered our friend and so many ways that we honored her: one friend catered with Maria’s favorite foods, one friend described that everything she wore that day had been gifts to her from Maria – from her jewelry to her clothing; sooo many teachers were present (as Maria was a teacher) and it was very cool to see/hear the impact she had on their lives.
I sat with friends who had me laughing (and crying) as we talked about adventure after adventure like:
- When we used to go out to the clubs, guys used to come up and ask our guy friend’s permission to dance with us LOL and el muy cínico used to answer “dos dolares por favor” LOL
- How I publicly thanked Georgia, Maria’s friend, who used to let us ALL stay over at her house in SF after we’d close down the clubs. I didn’t remember that it was a studio apartment until today.
- The time my creative friend dressed up as “Miss Zanahoria/Miss Carrot” for a Halloween party and she made her kickass bouquet of carrots and made a CROWN out of baby carrots — sooo awesome and I remember telling her, “WHO could top that?”
- The many times we got kicked out of the Student Union and various other places on campus por desmadrozos.
- The time Carlos had the nerve to ask Maria why women got so irritable during that time of the month LOL Girl broke it down for him about half of our insides coming out of this little hole, etc. in such graphic detail that I still laugh about it and get serious asco too.
- Then there was the time that there was an enano/midget who was dancing right near Maria’s chest — Hilarious and we never let her live this down!
- The time we all went to the Mariner’s /A’s baseball game with Maria, and we sat on the Mariner’s side and kept cheering for the A’s and checking out the fine ball players. Girl was a serious game-watcher and we really tried her patience that night LOL.
There are soooo many more that I will save for when I meet up with all of my friends when we hang out together in Maria’s honor. In fact, we’ve already started planning our next get-together. You know there be great food, algo para tomar, chisme, chisme, chisme, music, tears, and, of course, laughter.
One of Maria’s aunts saw me sitting there, laughing and crying, and she told me to keep doing that, to keep honoring her niece forever. It will not be hard, Maria was one of my greatest friends. Below please find my thoughts the actual day that my friend left us … Saturday, July 23rd at 1:30pm:
My BFF Maria Garcia left this world earlier this afternoon. I’m very sad that Maria has left us so soon, I’m very proud that my friend fought until the very end, I’m so grateful that she wanted to be my friend for all of these years, I’m blessed to have had Maria as a member of my BFFs, a sister that I chose for myself and my familia, and I’m very hopeful that Maria will be reunited with her beloved Mama and maybe she’ll see my Mama as well in her eternal home. Thank you Jesus Lord Virgen of G for allowing me to have such an awesome group of BFFs, we are missing one now but we will be able to remember and honor Maria always: fun-loving, hilarious-funny, could talk to anyone anywhere anytime, major baseball and sports fan, great dancer, loved fine dining, always had her makeup and nails on point, love it that we could share makeup always being the same color LOL, creative, great teacher, kind-hearted, giving, patient with me: her non-sports loving, non-animal loving, non-adventureous foodie who always wanted tacos or papas instead of trying out new foods. I will miss you sooooo very much, I was always happy to be your friend, and will never forget you Maria Antonieta Garcia, love you sister.